The project is aimed at ensuring sustainable harvesting, consumption and utilization of Whales, Dolphin, Sea turtles, Giant Sea Catfish and Manatee in the marine coastal communities. There is need to conduct the project to address the increasing reported cases of butchering, poaching and slaughtering of some marine species of animal endemic to the communities in the coastal areas of Nigeria. The reported cases of hunting, killing, inhuman handling, poaching and slaughtering of notable marine species endemic to coastal areas of Nigeria are unbecoming. This calls for serious and immediate actions by the concerned Environmental Conservation Non-Governmental Organisation in Nigeria. Netlink Environmental Conservation Organization as a leading Environmental Conservation NGO has deemed it fit to embark on this project to protect the identified marine resources from going into extinction.
- Formation of coordinated stakeholders, association and community based environmental conservation programmes
- Culture of conservation will be imbibed into the locals and their consciousness will be raised on environmental conservation
- Geospatial Map of the habitat and distribution pattern of the identified marine resources will be produced
- Cultural values as means of conservation will be sustained
- Collaboration with other stakeholders will be strengthened
Alternative livelihood projects will be developed